Mealtimes with a toddler offer more twists, turns, ups and downs than your favourite rollercoaster. As parents, we all know the feeling of preparing a delicious meal for our little ones, only to watch it mushed, thrown and played with as they experiment with new textures and tastes. But what you might not know, is just how much your choice of plate plays a role in bringing out the right flavors. A complete game-changer for mealtimes! We dive into the science of non-porous materials and why they're your best friend when it comes to serving food.
And that's not all - we've got some exciting news to share! Stay tuned as we introduce you to a brand-new 20cm porcelain plate, tailor-made for your little one's growing appetite. It goes hand in hand (pun intended!) with our knife and fork sets, perfectly designed for those small, eager hands.
Whether you're a seasoned parent or just starting on the adventure of feeding toddlers, we'll make mealtime with your little munchkins fun, tasty, and stress-free.
The Science Behind Non-Porous Materials
As parents, it’s only natural to want the best for your children. But let’s be honest, we often don’t think too hard about the plate we use to dish up the next delicious meal. All that’s about to change as we take a closer look at the science that makes non-porous materials the unsung heroes when it comes to serving food to little ones.
What is Porosity?
Porosity is a property that determines how much a material can absorb or trap substances like moisture, flavors and odors. Think of it as tiny invisible spaces in the material itself. The more porous a material is, the more it can soak up liquids and hold onto traces of what it comes into contact with.
Why Porosity Matters in Child-Friendly Tableware
Now, imagine serving tomato sauce (yes, a staple for most kids) on a porous surface like a typical plastic, bamboo or silicone plate. The sauce can seep into the plate's pores, leaving a stubborn red stain that never quite disappears - no matter how hard you scrub! Over time, these food particles that get stuck can harbor bacteria that a new meal then gets dished up on top of.
This porosity becomes important when we serve food to our little ones. Young children have sensitive palates. So, when their favorite dishes start to taste faintly of previous meals or the dishwashing detergent, it can lead to the all-too-familiar mealtime meltdowns (we’ve all been there!).
Non-Porous Materials to the Rescue
Non-porous materials, on the other hand, have a tight and smooth surface that leaves no room for that tomato sauce to seep in. This means that glass, stainless steel, and porcelain are incredibly effective at preserving the taste and quality of the food served on them. Yum!
Benefits of Child-Friendly Porcelain Plates
Porcelain, although it may appear delicate, is nice and robust and non-porous. It's a great choice for serving hot meals to your kids, as it won't retain the heat like plastic or silicone might. Here are some key benefits:
- Portion control: Our child-friendly porcelain plates come with divided sections or non-divided sections, helping you portion out different foods neatly for little fingers.
- Durable: They can survive the occasional accidental drop without shattering into pieces. Better still our porcelain plates come with a silicone sleeve, which provides an extra layer of protection.
- Easy-to-hold: These plates typically have ergonomic shapes and slightly raised edges, making them easy for small hands to hold and scoop food from.
- Chemical-free: Unlike some plastics that can contain harmful chemicals like BPA and phthalates, porcelain is naturally free from any toxic substances.
- Eco-friendly: Our porcelain plates are crafted from sustainable and recyclable materials, making them an eco-conscious choice for your child's dining experience.
- Dishwasher and microwave safe: This makes meal preparation and cleanup a breeze.
Plastic vs Silicone
- Plastic plates: While colorful and lightweight, plastic plates have a downside. They can easily scratch, develop scratches where bacteria can hide, and absorb odors and stains over time. Plus, some plastics contain potentially harmful chemicals that can leach into your child's food when heated (so not suited to the microwave).
- Silicone plates: Silicone plates are soft, flexible, and often come in fun shapes and colors. However, like plastic, they are also porous and have the potential for odors and flavors to linger. They can also discolor from food stains.
Sneak Peek: The 20cm Porcelain Plate
Our ever-popular porcelain plate collection has just grown larger. Our new 20cm non-divided porcelain plate, tailor-made to enhance your little one's dining experience.
As your child transitions from toddlerhood to preschool age, their appetite and dietary needs evolve. The 20cm plate strikes the perfect balance between portion size and room for creativity. You can now present a variety of foods, from a hearty main course to a selection of colorful veggies and fruits. This plate encourages a diverse diet and helps instil healthy eating habits from an early age.
Complete the Set with a Stainless Steel Knife and Fork
Cutlery is an essential part of the dining experience, and choosing the right set for your child can make a big difference. Here's why stainless steel cutlery is the go-to choice for many parents:
- Non-porous and hygienic: Just like our porcelain plates, stainless steel cutlery is non-porous and smooth, which makes it easy to clean and does not harbor bacteria.
- Safety first: Stainless steel is well-known for its non-reactive nature. This means that it won't interact with the foods or washing soaps, so your child's meal doesn’t taste of remnants from their previous meal or the washing liquid.
- Durability: Children can be, well, children! They're still developing their motor skills, and accidents are bound to happen. Stainless steel cutlery is resistant to scratches and dents.
- Ergonomic shape: The knife, fork and spoon are crafted with an ergonomic shape and have a silicone handle making them easy for small hands to grip and use. This promotes independence as your child learns to feed themselves.
Boost Your Child's Dining Experience
Choosing the right materials for your child's tableware isn't just about aesthetics. It's about creating a safe, enjoyable, and stress-free dining environment. By opting for non-porous materials like glass, stainless steel, and porcelain, you're ensuring that each meal tastes as delicious as intended, free from unwanted odors or flavors.
And now, for some exciting news! Share pics of your little one using our products on Instagram and tag us to receive an exclusive 10% discount! But that's not all. Become a VIP member today, and you'll enjoy the added perk of a 12-month warranty on all our products. It's our way of saying thank you for choosing quality and excellence for your child's dining needs. Here’s to happy, healthy, and stress-free mealtimes!